NUDC: Frequently Asked Questions
About NUDC
Course Catalog
About E-Learning
Contact Us
Site Map

Can I earn a Bachelors or Masters degree?

Yes. Click here for the list of degrees available.

Do you offer financial aid?

Most of the NUDC universities offer financial aid if you are enrolled in a degree program. Contact the university offering the degree program that interests you. Students enrolled in distance programs should make no assumptions about financial aid; confirm your assumptions and information with the financial aid staff at the university which provides your degree program. Financial aid recipients need to be aware of the credit requirements regarding the number of credits in which they must enroll to receive financial aid. Financial aid disbursements are made at the beginning of the semester, and all paperwork must be completed before aid is disbursed.

What is the average completion time per course?

It takes an average of four to six months to complete an independent study course. Most institutions do have time requirements. Consult the appropriate university for specifics. Most graduate-level and many undergraduate-level courses offered by NUDC universities are semester-based.

How do I interact with the instructor?

Communication may occur through e-mail, chat rooms, threaded discussions, telephone, fax, or mail. Do not hesitate to introduce yourself to your instructor through notes on assignments, email, or other correspondence.

How do I request an official transcript of my grades?

Most universities will provide you with a student grade report or a form to request an official transcript. If you do not receive instructions for requesting a transcript, contact the university. Generally, there is a small fee for an official transcript.

How can I be a successful student?

Read our guide on "How to be a Successful Distance Education Student."

How do I get academic advising?

For undergraduate degree information and course requirements, contact the department at the university offering the degree. After admission to a degree program students usually are assigned an academic advisor from the department.

What do I do about prerequisites?

Some courses have prerequisites. Consult the course listing or catalog to confirm before enrolling. Universities may waive prerequisites in some instances.

Are there any tax incentives for my studies?

The 1997 Taxpayer Relief Act provides education tax incentives for adults who want to return to school and for parents who are sending or planning to send their children to college.

Education Tax Incentives:

  • Hope Scholarship tax credit for undergraduates
  • Lifetime Learning tax credit
  • Deductibility of student loan interest
  • Education IRA
  • Employer-provided educational assistance

What are your graduation procedures?

Graduation procedures will vary among universities. Once you are admitted to an undergraduate or graduate degree program, check with your academic advisor well ahead of your anticipated graduation to assure that you understand the graduation requirements and procedures.

Can I transfer courses for which I have already earned a grade?

Policies on transferring courses into one university from another will vary. Ask your academic advisor about your desire to transfer a course; do not assume that this can be done. Many universities have limitations on the number of credit hours which can be transferred, and the courses may have to be reevaluated before being accepted. Begin working on this well ahead of time.

Do you offer veterans' benefits?

At each university, there is generally an office which provides veterans' certification for educational benefits. Contact your university of choice for information.

What is your withdrawal policy?

Policies vary among universities. Please inquire about the policies of your university(ies) and decide to withdraw from a course early. You may be able to recover all, or part, of your tuition. Generally speaking, the later you make this decision, the less tuition money you will recover. Be aware that a student who stops participating in a course and does not follow the procedure to acquire an official withdrawal, may receive a grade of F.

Can I receive credit for life experience learning?

Opportunities for life experience credit may be available at some universities.

Who can I contact if my question is not answered here?

Please go to the Contact Us page and click on the link of the university of your choice.